Giulio

Fallocaust
Quil Carter
Steamed Up

Memorizing You

Memorizing You - Dan Skinner Awesome book. Set in the late 60s, this is the story of David and Ryan, told from David’s point of view. I don’t think to be capable of reviewing such a beautiful piece of writing, so I’ll just quote one of my favorites passages:

When the landscape of real life gets ugly, we can pick up a book of fantasy and find a beautiful world, all green and filled with sunshine. When we can’t find an end to something sad, there’s always a novel where everything turns out okay and makes us feel better about things. And even though we know they’re made up, we think that maybe there’s just a possibility, in spite of all the ugliness around us, we really do have a chance to make it all work out. Because we read it. And we wanted it to be real.”
(...)
“The last few days, I’ve lived in that world of ‘what if?’ What if we could go somewhere else? What if we could start over away from all of this? What if…what?” He opened his eyes, looked into mine. “We’re always looking for salvation away from some storm, away from some trouble, away from the turmoil that makes life seem way too impossible. We want to find protection, an armor to keep us from being wounded…a shelter…” His voice trailed away as he pulled me into his arms.
“Are you okay?”
“I was when I realized this was my shelter,” he said, tightening the hug. “This is where I can read my happy ending. Where everything is okay. I just wish I could thumb forward to the pages to our first kiss in the garden, to chapter five and see what wonderful things happen to us. And then to chapter seven like there was a great adventure there. And to know, after all was said and done, the bad guys lose, the good guys win, and the last chapter reads happily ever after. It would be a nice thing to know.

Highly recommended.